Recipe by Angela Sara
This is a good home made fruit cake my mother used to make that keeps really well, but it didn't stay around for long in our house! From an old Mcdougall's Cookery Book.
Top Review by rredrose126
This is a really good cake. So easy to make too. This is soooo much better than back in the days of the dried out fruit cakes noone wanted at Christmas time! I did add several glace cherry halves in addition to the dried fruit and adjusted the cooking time a bit. I baked mine in a regular bread pan for one hr and it came out just right. Very moist and very tasty. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe Angela. I will def make it again.
- 8 ounces cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces sugar
- 9 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon grated oranges or 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 fluid ounces milk
- 2 1⁄2 fluid ounces water, mixed with the milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to Gas 4/360F degrees.
- Grease and line a 6 inch tin.
- Sift flour, salt and spice together.
- Add fat to dry ingredients.
- Rub until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar add beaten egg and milk/water mix.
- Beat well for a minute.
- Add dried fruit.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.