Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a good home made fruit cake my mother used to make that keeps really well, but it didn't stay around for long in our house! From an old Mcdougall's Cookery Book.
- 8 ounces cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces sugar
- 9 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon grated oranges or 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 fluid ounces milk
- 2 1⁄2 fluid ounces water, mixed with the milk
- Preheat oven to Gas 4/360F degrees.
- Grease and line a 6 inch tin.
- Sift flour, salt and spice together.
- Add fat to dry ingredients.
- Rub until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar add beaten egg and milk/water mix.
- Beat well for a minute.
- Add dried fruit.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
This is a really good cake. So easy to make too. This is soooo much better than back in the days of the dried out fruit cakes noone wanted at Christmas time! I did add several glace cherry halves in addition to the dried fruit and adjusted the cooking time a bit. I baked mine in a regular bread pan for one hr and it came out just right. Very moist and very tasty. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe Angela. I will def make it again.