Prep1 hr 9 mins
A simple summer dessert. Recipe source: shopper's magazine
Make and share this Custard With Kiwi recipe from Food.com.
- In a saucepan combine 1/3 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in the milk and ook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each one. Simmer for one more minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool custard and refrigerate until cold (at least one hour, but can sit in refrigerator until serving time).
- To prepare meringue, in a saucepan, combine egg whites, remaining sugar (1/3 cup), water and cream of tartar, beating with portable beaters or a whisk. Cook over low heat until egg whites reach 160 degrees F but do not boil. Pour into bowl of electric mixer and continue beating until softr peaks form.
- To serve: line dessert dishes with sliced kiwi, spoon custard over fruit and top with merinque.