Prep 1 hr 9 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple summer dessert. Recipe source: shopper's magazine
Make and share this Custard With Kiwi recipe from Food.com.
- In a saucepan combine 1/3 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in the milk and ook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each one. Simmer for one more minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool custard and refrigerate until cold (at least one hour, but can sit in refrigerator until serving time).
- To prepare meringue, in a saucepan, combine egg whites, remaining sugar (1/3 cup), water and cream of tartar, beating with portable beaters or a whisk. Cook over low heat until egg whites reach 160 degrees F but do not boil. Pour into bowl of electric mixer and continue beating until softr peaks form.
- To serve: line dessert dishes with sliced kiwi, spoon custard over fruit and top with merinque.
This was so good- I couldn't get enough of the creamy topping! If you love meringue, you will love this, too. Next time I would cut down on the sugar, just to save a few calories. Thanks Ellie, for posting. Roxygirl
Deeeeelicious!!! Two of my favorite things in one dessert glass, custard and meringue. Farm-raised eggs lent a beautiful yellow color to the custard. I substitued turbinado sugar for regular in the custard to give a more complex flavor. We piled in the kiwis for a beautiful, sweet, dessert!!! Could probably use any fresh fruit.
I would make this again, but with some changes. We found the custard to be too sweet, so I'd decrease the sugar at least by half. Also, my son said he didn't think the meringue went very well with the custard, so I might leave that part out entirely. (If you do decide to make the meringue, note that it makes far more in quantity than the custard, so you could use some of it for something else). You could serve this with any fruit, really. My daughter doesn't like kiwi, so I sliced some strawberries for hers. Thanks for getting me to try something different ellie!