Recipe by ellie_
A simple summer dessert. Recipe source: shopper's magazine
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
This was so good- I couldn't get enough of the creamy topping! If you love meringue, you will love this, too. Next time I would cut down on the sugar, just to save a few calories. Thanks Ellie, for posting. Roxygirl
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 -4 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan combine 1/3 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in the milk and ook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each one. Simmer for one more minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool custard and refrigerate until cold (at least one hour, but can sit in refrigerator until serving time).
- To prepare meringue, in a saucepan, combine egg whites, remaining sugar (1/3 cup), water and cream of tartar, beating with portable beaters or a whisk. Cook over low heat until egg whites reach 160 degrees F but do not boil. Pour into bowl of electric mixer and continue beating until softr peaks form.
- To serve: line dessert dishes with sliced kiwi, spoon custard over fruit and top with merinque.