Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easiest and yummiest custard slice you'll ever make! One of my friends is addicted to it and I have to bring it to every Girl's Night we have or else! My dad says it's the best he's ever tasted. You can try adding cocoa powder to make a choc custard. I haven't tried that yet.
- 2 sheet of thawed puff pastry
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml custard powder
- 946.36 ml milk
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- Place piece greaseproof paper onto a flat biscuit tray and spray with cooking spray. Put a sheet of puff pastry on tray and pierce all over with a fork, but don't go all the way through pastry.
- Put in oven about 200°C until puffed up and golden.
- Let cool for a few minutes and gently push pastry down (I use a teatowel so my hands don't get burned) so it's flat. Take it off baking tray and remove paper.
- Put pastry into a square dish that has been greased and lined with greaseproof paper. If pastry too big trim the sides a little. It should be a snug fit.
- Bake second sheet of pastry, remove the paper and set pastry to one side until custard is done.
- For the custard, put the sugar and custard powder into a large saucepan and mix together with a wire whisk.
- Add the milk and mix to combine well.
- Put saucepan on stovetop and heat on medium high until mixture begins to thicken, then lower the heat until mixture is very thick and hard to stir. I find using the wire whisk until mix begins to thicken prevents lumps, then use a spoon to stir it.
- Add vanilla and mix well then pour into prepared dish.
- Smooth top so it's even and put 2nd pastry sheet on top.
- The icing amount depends on how thick a layer you want it, but I usually melt about 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 teaspoon boiling water. Then I add icing sugar, passionfruit pulp and a bit of water or lemon juice until it's the right consistency and amount--you don't want it too runny.
- Pour the icing on top and put in fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Spot on no fail recipe. I had a last minute request from my visiting (pregnant) cousin. I used store bought sheets and instant custard powder. I had to baked 4 sheets because somehow I ended up having a lot of custard and I could do 2 pies. I didn't have a square pan so I just put the pies in a Round pan. I baked them for tea time yesterday and already it's finished!
Im in the process of making it right now and so far so good cantttttt wait to try it thanks
Can't beleave how easy it was absolutely gorgeous