Easiest and yummiest custard slice you'll ever make! One of my friends is addicted to it and I have to bring it to every Girl's Night we have or else! My dad says it's the best he's ever tasted. You can try adding cocoa powder to make a choc custard. I haven't tried that yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place piece greaseproof paper onto a flat biscuit tray and spray with cooking spray. Put a sheet of puff pastry on tray and pierce all over with a fork, but don't go all the way through pastry.
- 2Put in oven about 200°C until puffed up and golden.
- 3Let cool for a few minutes and gently push pastry down (I use a teatowel so my hands don't get burned) so it's flat. Take it off baking tray and remove paper.
- 4Put pastry into a square dish that has been greased and lined with greaseproof paper. If pastry too big trim the sides a little. It should be a snug fit.
- 5Bake second sheet of pastry, remove the paper and set pastry to one side until custard is done.
- 6For the custard, put the sugar and custard powder into a large saucepan and mix together with a wire whisk.
- 7Add the milk and mix to combine well.
- 8Put saucepan on stovetop and heat on medium high until mixture begins to thicken, then lower the heat until mixture is very thick and hard to stir. I find using the wire whisk until mix begins to thicken prevents lumps, then use a spoon to stir it.
- 9Add vanilla and mix well then pour into prepared dish.
- 10Smooth top so it's even and put 2nd pastry sheet on top.
- 11The icing amount depends on how thick a layer you want it, but I usually melt about 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 teaspoon boiling water. Then I add icing sugar, passionfruit pulp and a bit of water or lemon juice until it's the right consistency and amount--you don't want it too runny.
- 12Pour the icing on top and put in fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- 13Cut into squares and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Custard (Vanilla) Slice
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.1
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 106.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: