Recipe by shazzieau
deliciously moist scrolls filled with custard and chocolate chips. served with butter,
- 500 g plain flour
- 70 g sugar
- 50 g butter, melted
- 300 ml milk
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon bread improver
- 1 lemon, finely grate the rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 100 g chocolate chips
FOR THE CUSTARD
- 250 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- FOR BREAD MAKER. place the milk, sugar, butter, rind, salt flour, bread improver and yeast in this order into the bread machine. set on dough setting. if dough hasn't doubled in size, place in a warm spot and let finish doubling.
- make the custard and follow the rest of the directions as below.
- USING AN ELECTRIC MIXER -- warm a little of the milk in a jug in the microwave. mix in the yeast plus 2 teaspoons of the sugar. let sit for 10 minutes.
- in a bowl place the rest of the milk, the sugar, butter, lemon rind and salt. add the yeast mix.
- place the flour into the bowl of an electric mixer. add the liquid ingredients. using a dough hook, knead the dough for 15 minutes.
- place the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a teatowel and let rise, in a warm spot until doubled in size.
- make the custard while the dough is rising.
- in a pot, whisk the custard powder together with the milk until well combined. add the sugar.
- on low heat, bring the custard to the boil, stirring.
- remove from heat.
- place the custard into a small bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. cool completely.
- WHEN THE DOUGH IS READY -- tip it on to a lightly floured board and roll out a rectangle 5 mm thick.
- spread the custard over the top of the dough. sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- roll up tightly, like a swiss roll, starting on the long side of the dough.
- using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 equal slices.
- place the slices on the baking tray, leaving room to spread, cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- heat oven to 180 Celsius.
- brush with milk and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- eat warm or cold sprinkled with icing sugar.