Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was hungry for a good old fashion egg custard pie, did a search on the web and found this posted by Yvonne on All Recipes.com. Very good. I used fresh grated nutmeg, but you can also use cinnamon. I whisked while adding the hot milk and also add 10 more minutes to the baking time. I also like my custard pie cold so I put it in the refrigerator about 45 minutes before cutting. Preparation time is for filling only.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- Combine eggs, sugar, nutmeg or cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Add scalded milk a little at a time while whisking, so as not to cook the eggs.
- When all is blended, pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
I've always been afraid to make custard pie, but decided for my FIL's birthday that I would go for it. This was delicious and the family quickly made short work of the pie! Thanks for a great recipe. I will make this time and time again!
I was sure this pie wouldn't set because I have trouble with pies sometimes, but this one sliced perfectly. It might just be my oven, but I had to cook mine about 45 minutes instead of 30, and that was the only adjustment I made. Great pie!
Perfect. I prepared the pie exactly as stated and it turned out GREAT. Thanks!!!