Recipe by ChrisF
I was hungry for a good old fashion egg custard pie, did a search on the web and found this posted by Yvonne on All Recipes.com. Very good. I used fresh grated nutmeg, but you can also use cinnamon. I whisked while adding the hot milk and also add 10 more minutes to the baking time. I also like my custard pie cold so I put it in the refrigerator about 45 minutes before cutting. Preparation time is for filling only.
Top Review by Krsi Sue
I've always been afraid to make custard pie, but decided for my FIL's birthday that I would go for it. This was delicious and the family quickly made short work of the pie! Thanks for a great recipe. I will make this time and time again!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggs, sugar, nutmeg or cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Add scalded milk a little at a time while whisking, so as not to cook the eggs.
- When all is blended, pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.