Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
Adopted Recipe. When I tried the recipe I used the suggestions in the reviews, and increased the nutmeg from the original 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon, and also added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, which was not called for in the original recipe. Use more if desired.
Top Review by wytoto
I've been looking for this recipe for years! I used to make it in Australia but since I've been here I've had no luck. The only suggestions I would make is to add more nutmeg, use a deep dish pie shell and if you put the pie shell on a cookie sheet and put it into the heated oven FIRST, then pour the mixture in you will have less spills. I almost set my smoke alarm off!
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 inches pie shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs well in a large bowl, then add milk, salt, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and place it on center shelf of preheated 450 degree (Fahrenheit) oven.
- Place 9 inch pie plate containing the uncooked pie shell on baking sheet and pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes more or until knife inserted comes out clean.