Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells (unbaked)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (whole milk, not skim)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the sugar, eggs, and vanilla together.
- Scald the milk. Let milk set until it is just barely warm, then add the sugar mixture.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake until custard is firm to the touch, approximately 35 minutes.
I really enjoy this recipe - the custard is great, not too sweet - a traditional custard. I can't believe what passes for "custard" commercially these days! The only thing I would suggest is, I cannot get it to fit in a 9" pan, even with fluted crust top. I will be using a 10" pan from now on.
This has always been a favorite of mine. I sprinkled cinnamon on top before it went in the oven for my own taste. So easy to make and done before you know. Just yummy! I will be making this again soon. Thanks