Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is very satisfying and may become your new "comfort" food
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar-free vanilla syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 6 eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In the saucepan, combine cream, vanilla syrup, vanilla, and Splenda.
- Bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat.
- Separate 3 of the eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining whole eggs and the yolks.
- Whip the eggs with a whisk until slightly thickened and lightened in color.
- While whisking the eggs, drizzle in about a quarter of the hot milk.
- Now whisk the tempered eggs back into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a glass or stainless steel bowl with a spout.
- Pour the egg mixture through the strainer in order to catch any curdled egg bits or particles that may be in the mixture.
- Place the custard cups into the roasting pan.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and pour boiling water into the pan just under the level of the custard.
- Cook the custard for about 40 min, or until they wobble slightly when the pan is wiggled.
- You can also insert a paring knife midway between the edge and the center.
- If it comes out clean, the flans are done.
- Using tongs, remove the cups from the pan to a towel-lined sheet pan.
- Cool, cover and chill.
Very very good, and you can make it many different flavors by using different flavored syrups. I made it exactly as written, but it was a little too sweet, so the next time, I made it using 1 c cream, and 1 c sugar free syrup, no splenda, and it suited my taste. I eat this every other day for breakfast, and my friends have nicknamed me "the incredible melting woman" Thanks!
WONDERFUL!!! It cured my sugar craving. Its very sweet and yummy. I used regular ole 0 carb syrup because my tiny little grocery didnt have the vanilla but it was still FANTASTIC!!
I tried this recipe shortly after finishing my induction period on the Atkins diet. As anyone who has attempted the diet knows, there are very few "sweets" that you are allowed, so I was really craving them. I think this recipe is excellent and extremely easy to make. The only thing I would change would be to enjoy them while they are still warm, instead of chilling.