Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is an amazing corn bread which bakes a creamy, barely set custard layer of filling in the center. If you like your cornbread a touch on the sweeter side, please don't hesitate to add a touch more sugar. That's the way we like it best ; ) I discovered this recipe in The Best of Virginia Farms Cookbook. I hope you will enjoy it!
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- Butter an 8-inch baking dish and place it in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and let the dish get hot while mixing the batter.
- Beat the eggs with butter until well blended.
- Add sugar, salt, milk, and vinegar, beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add to egg mixture.
- Mix just until the batter is smooth.
- Pour into heated dish, then pour cream into the center of the batter.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Place in oven and bake 45-55 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 9 servings.
Very good Bev although we thought it needed a bit more more sugar (just personal preference!) this is a recipe I will make again! thanks hon!...Kitten:)
This is good cornbread! However, my hubby and I thought the custard needed to be a little sweeter so I will try adding some sugar to the whipping cream next time. We also thought putting berries on top of each serving (like strawberry shortcake) would be good.