Recipe by Blue Peacock
This cornbread is a bit different from the traditional cornbread recipe; I truly enjoy eating this.
Top Review by Debaylady
Thank you for sharing this. I found this recipe on a blog earlier this evening. It is a Marion Cunniingham recipe and in her cookbook "The Breakfast Book". I was going to post here for safe keeping. I wonder if a teaspoon of vanilla would be a pleasing addition. When I make it I will add some vanilla and let you know here!
- 2 eggs
- 44.37 ml butter, melted
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 22.18 ml white vinegar
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml yellow cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml heavy cream (whipping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or round cast-iron skillet. Place in a preheated 350 F oven and allow the dish to get hot while mixing batter.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and melted butter until well blended. Add sugar, salt, milk and vinegar; beat well.
- Into a bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda. Add to egg mixture.
- Mix just until batter is smooth with no lumps. Put batter into heated dish, then pour whipping cream into center of batter. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake at 350F for an hour or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
- When cornbread is done, a creamy, barely set custard will form inside.