Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cornbread is a bit different from the traditional cornbread recipe; I truly enjoy eating this.
Make and share this Custard Filled Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or round cast-iron skillet. Place in a preheated 350 F oven and allow the dish to get hot while mixing batter.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and melted butter until well blended. Add sugar, salt, milk and vinegar; beat well.
- Into a bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda. Add to egg mixture.
- Mix just until batter is smooth with no lumps. Put batter into heated dish, then pour whipping cream into center of batter. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake at 350F for an hour or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
- When cornbread is done, a creamy, barely set custard will form inside.
Thank you for sharing this. I found this recipe on a blog earlier this evening. It is a Marion Cunniingham recipe and in her cookbook "The Breakfast Book". I was going to post here for safe keeping. I wonder if a teaspoon of vanilla would be a pleasing addition. When I make it I will add some vanilla and let you know here!
Made for PAC, Spring 2007 ~ I enjoyed this cornbread, I'll admit, but it's not something I'd want to make often! It's more of an unusual conversation-piece dish! I really liked it, but some of my guests were a bit less forthcoming after trying it! They talked about it a lot, it seemed, but weren't interested in seconds!