Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
this is a different variation of my other recipe Custard Cream Mousse I. This one is a HEALTHEIR version. This recipe came from a Japanese cooking site, www.cookpad.com. It originally called for whipping cream, but I substituted it with 150g of Cool Whip and with 50g of sugar, one egg yolk instead of two, and only 120mL of soymilk. 50g of sugar is too sweet to my taste, adjust sweetness to your liking. Also, I added white sesame paste (nerigoma, not tahini). I used a bit more gelatin than the recipe called for because I ALWAYS get gelatin stuck in the cup that I soften it in.
- 50 g sugar
- 10 g cornstarch
- 120 ml milk or 120 ml soymilk
- 150 g Cool Whip
- 1 egg yolk
- japanese sesame paste, to taste (neri goma)
- 5 -7 g gelatin
- Soften gelatin in 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- Now make the custard cream:.
- Sift the cornstarch into a bowl.
- Add the soymilk/milk to the cornstarch.
- In a separate bowl, mix up the egg yolk and the sugar.
- Slowly add the egg yolk+ sugar mixture to the soymilk/milk + cornstarch mixture.
- Microwave until custard cream forms. The time will depend on your microwave's power. Make sure to stir in between microwaving time.
- Dissolve the gelatin and add to custard cream.
- Cool custard cream.
- When custard cream cools, add cool whip.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.