Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here's a low-fat dessert that captures the flavors of the season. The homemade custard comes together in minutes, but seems like you fussed. Looks perfect for this warm summer weather when all the berries are fresh. Recieved this from a Taste of Home email. Prep time does not include chilling
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups berries, mixed fresh
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, spoon 1/4 cup of berries into each parfait glass; top with 2 tablespoons of custard. Repeat layers.
This is a great, easy to make, light sweet treat! Made it with rice milk and arrowroot starch and sweetend with rice syrup, and it tasted so goood! Will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing!
Made for When it's hot / When it's not Tag Game.