I found this recipe when I was looking for an alternative to double crusted apple pie but a little fancier than the Dutch version. This actually calls for peaches instead of apples, but having none on hand and "baker's itch" I substituted apples,added the cinnamon,and it turned out so well that I have yet to try it with peaches. I like it best served a little warm.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Core, peel and slice apples to 1/4" thick.
- In piecrust, arrange the apple slices in concentric circles, overlapping them slightly.
- Beat sour cream, egg yolks, sugar, flour, vanilla and cinnamon with wire whisk until just blended; pour over apples.
- Bake pie 30 min, or until custard mixture is beginning to set.
- Meanwhile, prepare STREUSAL TOPPING: In small bowl, with hand, combine butter or margarine, flour and sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- After pie has baked 30 min, evenly sprinkle topping over apples and custard.
- Bake 15 min longer or until topping is golden and knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean.
- If crust browns too rapidly, cover with foil.
- Cool at least one hour.