Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A cushaw is similar to a pumpkin. I cut it in half and take out seeds, then fill cavity with a little water, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until tender.
- 2 cups cushaw, baked
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Mix in order: cushaw, sugar, margarine, milk, egg and flavorings.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Love this recipe but I made a few changes. Butter instead of margarine and raw unfiltered honey instead of brown sugar. The second time I made it I didn't put water inside when baking because the cushaw contained more than enough water on its own. I had to let it drain after baking it.