Curt Newport's Note:
Rated by our guests as the hottest ever. An annual tradition at our Super Bowl parties, and generally a favorite. This recipe will fill roughly 3/4 or a lobster pot, so make sure you have a big enough pot or multiple pots. We double this recipe, and it survives a party of 80 or so, although there is plenty of other food to go with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 lbs cubed beef roast
- 3 lbs hamburger
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 60 ounces dark red kidney beans
- 60 ounces light kidney beans
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 medium sweet onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 6 ounces canned chopped chilies (Old El Paso)
- 12 ounces trappeys sliced jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 sliced anaheim chilies
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 6 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 24 ounces lager beer
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1Fry bacon in a heavy pot until crisp. Remove and reserve the bacon. POur off most of the bacon grease into a heavy cast iron skillet, leaving a small amount in the pot.
- 2Brown the meat and the garlic in the skillet, while sauteeing the onions in the pot. The meat will take longer, so start that first.
- 3Add, to the stockpot containing onions, in this order: Meats, dry spices, beans, tomato paste, tomatoes, other sauces.
- 4Allow to simmer on low for at least two hours.
- 5Check every 20 minutes or so, and give a stir. A few more stirs early on, to keep the spices mixed.
- 6This is almost always better as leftovers, if you want to let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, but I make it same day as the game, and it does just fine.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curt's Super Bowl 47 Chili
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.4 mg
- Sodium 321.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 19.0 g