Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Good things come to those who wait. Let this cook during the game, and it should be ready when the games' over.
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bottle beer
- 1 lb spicy smoked sausage
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 cans chicken stock
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- hot sauce (to taste, your choice. I use Tabasco and a few others)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- In a large stockpot, saute onions and peppers until onions are soft.
- In a skillet, brown the chicken.
- When nearly done, add the sausage, to brown, even if it is already cooked.
- Add cooked meats to stockpot.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, jalapenos (uncooked), kidney beans, chicken stock, crushed red pepper, hot sauce and beer, and cook on medium for 20 minutes, to blend flavors.
- Turn mixture to"high" until a boil is achieved.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, and turn to low.
- Cook until rice is done AND you reach desired consistency.
- SHould be about 45-60 minutes, perhaps more.
- Water may be substitued for the chicken stock.
- I just like the extra flavor it adds.
We liked this, I love that it has everything for a good meal included. There were a couple of ingredients left out of the direction like the garlic and butter. I put them in with the peppers and onions. I lost all the good brown bits from the meats, so if I make it again I will use a dutch oven and saute the veggies then cook the meat and finish it all in there.