Recipe by Curt Newport
End the year with a bang. This will spice up the night, but won't leave you screaming. Great flavor, lots of meat!
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 lbs lean beef chuck roast, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 (12 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 fresh jalapenos, chopped
- 16 ounces canned chilies, chopped (Old El Paso or similar)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 6 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons dried chipotle powder
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles lager beer
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (12 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a heavy pot.
- Remove and reserve bacon.
- Brown the meat and garlic in the bacon fat. For best results, move to a cast iron skillet.
- Saute onions in stock pot until soft.
- Add the meat, bacon, chilis, spices, sauces, jalapenos, beer, tomatoes and paste.
- Simmer for two hours.
- Add remaining ingredients during cooking, as you check and stir.
- Make sure last ingredients are added with at least one hour of cooking time remaining.
- For best results, allow chili to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to give the spices a chance to intensify. It is ok to serve off the stove (suggest a bread bowl!), but it is almost always better as leftovers.
- Caution: freezing and reheating will effect the quality. It will still be good, but not the same.