Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is somewhat labor intensive, but worth the wait. I always make this during one weekend of the NFL playoffs. I like the Canadian beer, because of the different hops. I have put this together from a collection of recipes, and then added some touches of my own, such as the chipotle, to give it a smokey flavor, and ground turkey to give it a "slightly" healthier touch. If you're
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 lbs lean beef chuck roast, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs regular hamburger, preferably chuck
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 ounces canned chilies, chopped (El Paso brand)
- 6 fresh jalapeno chilies, chopped
- 6 chipotle chiles, chopped
- 7 tablespoons dry Mexican chilies, freshly ground, anaheim if possible
- 3 tablespoons chili peppers (good quality)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 6 tablespoons fresh cumin seed, ground
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles beer (Canadian)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- Fry bacon in a heavy pot till crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Remove and reserve bacon.
- Pour off most of the bacon fat into a heavy cast iron skillet, leaving a small amount in the pot.
- Brown the meat and garlic in the skillet.
- Saute onions in the fat remaining in the pot until soft.
- Add the meat, bacon, ground chilies, dried spices, the sauces, green chilies, Jalapenos, chipotle, beer and tomatoes.
- Simmer for two hours.
- Add remaining seasonings and sauces during cooking, as you check and stir.
- Make sure last ingredients are added with at least one hour of cooking time remaining.
- Allow the chili to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to give the spices a chance to intensify.
- It is okay to serve it right off the stove, but it is almost always better as leftovers.
This is an awesome chili recipe and very fun to make. I love the bacon and Canadian lager. My family asks me to make it all the time now. It's a big favorite.
Sorry it is ok but it needs to be lot hotter to me that is just old fashion chili, it is ok for five alarm chili I guess.