1/1 Photo of Curt's Five Alarm Touchdown Chili Con Carne With Beans
2 hrs 45 mins
Curt Newport's Note:
This is somewhat labor intensive, but worth the wait. I always make this during one weekend of the NFL playoffs. I like the Canadian beer, because of the different hops. I have put this together from a collection of recipes, and then added some touches of my own, such as the chipotle, to give it a smokey flavor, and ground turkey to give it a "slightly" healthier touch. If you're
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 lbs lean beef chuck roast, cubed
- 1 1/2 lbs regular hamburger, preferably chuck
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 ounces canned chilies, chopped (El Paso brand)
- 6 fresh jalapeno chilies, chopped
- 6 chipotle chiles, chopped
- 7 tablespoons dry Mexican chilies, freshly ground, anaheim if possible
- 3 tablespoons chili peppers (good quality)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 6 tablespoons fresh cumin seed, ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles beer (Canadian)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1Fry bacon in a heavy pot till crisp and the fat is rendered.
- 2Remove and reserve bacon.
- 3Pour off most of the bacon fat into a heavy cast iron skillet, leaving a small amount in the pot.
- 4Brown the meat and garlic in the skillet.
- 5Saute onions in the fat remaining in the pot until soft.
- 6Add the meat, bacon, ground chilies, dried spices, the sauces, green chilies, Jalapenos, chipotle, beer and tomatoes.
- 7Simmer for two hours.
- 8Add remaining seasonings and sauces during cooking, as you check and stir.
- 9Make sure last ingredients are added with at least one hour of cooking time remaining.
- 10Allow the chili to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to give the spices a chance to intensify.
- 11It is okay to serve it right off the stove, but it is almost always better as leftovers.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curt's Five Alarm Touchdown Chili Con Carne With Beans
Serving Size: 1 (674 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.5
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 146.6 mg
- Sodium 1385.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 54.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean beef chuck roast