A delicious warm cheese bisque, terrific on a cold day! Starch it up a bit more by serving with sourdough croutons.
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 (12 ounce) bottles beer
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 6 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a large suacepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion and garlic. Stir in Tabasco, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer, simmer until veggies are tender, remove from heat (about 12-15 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, heat butter in large soup pot over medium heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk. Cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, so it does not scorch, until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, keeping warm.
- 3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to simmer. Augment spices to taste, cook 10 minutes.
While the flavor is good, I am very disappointed by the consistency. In the description, the soup is referred to as a bisque, which indicates a thicker, creamier soup. Despite the fact that I cooked the milk base long enough to thicken (which is not even clear in the directions), the finished product was thinner than creamy tomato soup out of a can. I was very disappointed as I love beer cheese soup, and this recipe received 5 stars.
So good!! Mine didn't turn out real thick, and I cooked the roux with the milk for quite a while. Maybe it needed more time? Doesn't matter, because this soup has amazing flavor! By far some of the best beer-cheese soup I've ever had or made. Putting this in our normal rotation. Thank you!
Delicious!!!! We have tried other Beer cheese soup recipes, but this is the one we were looking for! We ate it with a side of roasted veggies (cauliflower, potatoes, onions, and red peppers). My husband must have said "Yum" like 100 times during dinner. We will definitely be making this again! Thank you!