- 1 head cabbage (shredded finely)
- 1 white onion (slice in half then slivered in 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 4 red chilies (grated)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt (or more depending on taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cabbage, carrots and chiles in a large bowl.
- Pour salt evenly over the mixture.
- Gently pour boiling water over mixture and allow to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Pour vinager over mixture and add oregano. Carefully mix every thing together and add more salt if neccessary.
- Note: I always allow the completed curtido to sit overnight before serving.