Recipe by Valeria
This Salvadorean condiment resembling coleslaw is customarily paired with pupusas.
Top Review by Rubi
Maybe it's a regional thing but this wasn't what I expected. I think the recipe needs way more vinegar and fermenting time. The cabbage taste was too strong and it needed more salt. Thanks anyways!
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cabbage in boiling water for no more than one minute. Discard the water.
- Put the cabbage in a large bowl and add grated carrots, sliced onion, cayenne, oregano, olive oil, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, and water.
- Let chill in refrigerator at least two hours before serving.