Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
For ages now, I have been hearing tale of the fabled currywurst which is popular street food in parts of Germany. Our local supermarket (Lidls...German owned) briefly did a microwave version and we actually liked it a good deal. It is firmly in the good junk food category. I wanted to find a recipe for a 'real' version rather than one that goes ding in the microwave. So, I found this one and am putting it here for next time.
- 5 knockwurst
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter medium saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Slice links in rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Place rounds into pan and brown, stirring often.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add in all seasonings and mix well.
- Lower heat to medium-low, cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Check flavor and add curry at your discretion.
- Lower temperature and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with french fries on the side, adding enough sauce to dip fries. You may also like to sprinkle some curry onto the wurst for garnish.