Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I'm posting several wheat berry salad recipes because I love wheat berries and especially in salads. I found this recipe on a Canadian living website. Sounds great but I haven't made it yet. They also said this salad can be made with barley. Plan ahead, wheat berries need to be soaked overnight and that time is not included in the prep or cooking time here.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat berries
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds, or
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cover the wheat berries with water and soak overnight.
- The next day place the wheat berries with 8 cups water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender, uncovered.
- Drain and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and fry the onion 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the curry paste and cook 3 more minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the wheat berries, curry onion mixture, nuts, red pepper, mozzarella and parsley in a bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, salt and the white wine vinegar.
- Add to the wheat berry salad and mix together.