1 hr 15 mins
A quick and easy pate recipe and fun way to use tofu. Ingredient amounts vary because tofu and mayo can differ greatly. Cook time is the time required for draining the tofu.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb tofu, firm to extra firm, not silky
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 small red onion, minced fine
- 1 celery rib, minced fine
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, regular (more, if desired) or 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise (more, if desired)
- 1 -3 teaspoon curry powder (more, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Drain tofu and set in a flat-bottom sieve over a plate.
- 2Weight the tofu to squeeze as much water out as possible for about an hour.
- 3Mix the mayo with curry powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- 4If you think about how you like your tuna/egg/chicken salad, this is probably a good guide on how to season this mayo.
- 5Crumble tofu gently into a bowl.
- 6The tofu should have a bit of texture, but no large chunks.
- 7It should not be "pureed".
- 8"Toss in the eggs, red onion, and celery.
- 9Experiment and add other veggies, as desired.
- 10Gently mix the mayo mixture with the tofu mixture and either refrigerate for several hours or use immediately.
- 11If you use immediately, it may be a bit soft.
- 12If the pate is watery, tofu needs to be drained more thoroughly (I find some brands to be more watery than others).
- 13If you continue to have trouble with the pate being really watery, cut tofu into large chunks, boil, then drain and follow recipe.
- 14Use the pate as a veggie dip, on crackers, or as a sandwich spread.
- 15Experiment with different additions and combinations.
- 16HINT: The pate is mayo based and more moist than other spreads.
- 17If you pack it for lunch, pack the pate and bread or pita separately.
- 18Use a cold pack!
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curry Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.8
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 64.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g