Here's another tasty main dish from the Better Homes and Gardens' Fresh and Simple Vegetable Dinners cookbook(let).
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, raw, shelled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs winter squash, peeled, seeded, cut int 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked, hot
- 2 cups bananas, sliced (optional condiment)
- 2 cups pineapple chunks (optional condiment)
- 2 cups green onions, sliced (optional condiment)
- 2 cups chutney, any flavor (optional condiment)
- In a large skillet toast pumpkin seeds over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until puffed & lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Watch them carefully as the seeds might pop in the skillet!
- Remove from skillet & set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook & stir ginger in hot oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high & add squash, cooking 3 to 5 minutes or until squash starts to brown.
- Add cranberries, cinnamon, coriander, cumin & curry powder, & cook another minute.
- Carefully add broth to squash mixture.
- Bring to boiling, then reduce heat & cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until squash is tender, but not mushy.
- Serve spooned over rice & sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, & don't forget to pass the condiments!