1/1 Photo of Curry Spiced Winter Squash
Sydney Mike's Note:
Here's another tasty main dish from the Better Homes and Gardens' Fresh and Simple Vegetable Dinners cookbook(let).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, raw, shelled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs winter squash, peeled, seeded, cut int 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked, hot
- 2 cups bananas, sliced (optional condiment)
- 2 cups pineapple chunks (optional condiment)
- 2 cups green onions, sliced (optional condiment)
- 2 cups chutney, any flavor (optional condiment)
- 1In a large skillet toast pumpkin seeds over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until puffed & lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Watch them carefully as the seeds might pop in the skillet!
- 2Remove from skillet & set aside.
- 3In the same skillet, cook & stir ginger in hot oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 4Increase heat to medium-high & add squash, cooking 3 to 5 minutes or until squash starts to brown.
- 5Add cranberries, cinnamon, coriander, cumin & curry powder, & cook another minute.
- 6Carefully add broth to squash mixture.
- 7Bring to boiling, then reduce heat & cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until squash is tender, but not mushy.
- 8Serve spooned over rice & sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, & don't forget to pass the condiments!
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curry Spiced Winter Squash
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1035.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 206.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: