Prep 30 mins
Cook 26 mins
I found this in this month's Cooking Light, (March 2008). In the magazine picture it looked like yams instead of sweet potatoes, and since I had those on hand, that's what I used. Also, I replaced the half-and-half with about 1/3 cup of my Fat Free Coconut Milk (For Recipes), Fat Free Coconut Milk (For Recipes). We enjoyed this recipe with chicken, but it will compliment other meats as well. Very tasty! (I couldn't get the amount through Zaar, so the sweet potatoes are about 2 pounds.)
- 907.18 g cubed peeled sweet potatoes (1-inch, about 61/2 cups)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 59.14 ml finely chopped shallot
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper
- 78.07 ml half-and-half
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- Place potato in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well; return to pan. Keep warm.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar, salt, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, and red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add shallot mixture, half-and-half, and lemon juice to potato. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher to desired consistency.
Delicious! Very interesting twist on the sweet potato. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
Amazing flavor and color! ~Tasty Dish~ approved! I love the addition of brown sugar and shallots! I didn't have a chance to take a picture of the dish, but next time I will. I used my own recipe for roasted curry powder, the substitution of coconut milk for the half and half, and orange fleshed "yams". Great alternate side dish in place of potatoes, pasta or rice. Thank you! Reviewed for ZWT 2009.
This was simply delicious. The amount of spices is just right, the half and half gives it a creamy richness, and it's easy to prepare. It went nicely with chicken Vindaloo. Thanks for posting! ~Sue