Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 mins
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled,seeded,chopped fine
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 4 lbs blue mussels, in shells
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup cilantro leaf, whole
- Combine dry spices.
- Heat a 5-6 quart pot over medium heat.
- Add butter and oil, add onion after foam subsides and saute until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and dry spices.
- Cook stirring until the spices are aromatic (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add liquid and mussels.
- Cover and cook until mussels are open-- 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer mussels to individual soup bowls with a slotted spoon discarding any unopened mussels.
- Ladle broth over mussels.
- Drizzle each serving with lemon juice and garnish with cilantro leaves.
It was OK but the spices were a bit overpowering for the delicate mussels.