Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Woman's Day magazine, October 2011. They suggest a cool Raita be served alongside this wonderfully spiced rice dish. It's a quick one-pot meal ready in about 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Season the shrimp with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and nestle them in the partially cooked rice. Scatter the peas over the top, cover, and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout and the rice is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Fold in the cilantro.