Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed,minced
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup converted rice
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped spinach, partially thawed and broken up
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if desired)
- chopped tomato, for garnish if desired
- mint, for garnish if desired
- Combine first 11 ingredients in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, or until rice and lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Add salt to taste; serve garnished with chopped tomato and mint if desired.
- May be doubled.
This recipe has lots of pluses. The flavor is good if you like African cuisine (which we do). I am lowering my rating for a few reasons other than flavor. I ended up using almost twice the amount of cooking liquid (prepared stove top), I felt the spinach would have been more appetizing in appearence added close to the end of the cooking time, and the amounts for us were far more than 4 servings. I made this to serve with Recipe #291700. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Was really easy to make and very flavourful. People at work commented on how good it smelled. However, I must have done something wrong because after 2 hours I was out of liquid and it started to stick to the pot. That didn't stop it from being really yummy. Thanks!
This recipe has at least 4 servings if not more. Easy to make and nutritious. The curry itself is quite mild.