Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipie i developed due to my love of indian spices...smile...this soup tastes great made without the ham too...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic (3 fresh cloves chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, sliced and chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (samji) or 2 tablespoons garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 ham bone (chopped) or 1 cup ham (chopped)
- 8 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 lb split peas
- 1⁄4 lb yellow lentils
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 -4 large chopped tomatoes
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 cup squash, chopped in cubes
- In pot stir fry these ingeredients for 2 minutes:.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 large yellow/ white onion chopped.
- 1 tbsp garlic ( 3 fresh cloves chopped).
- 2 tbps fresh ginger sliced and chopped.
- 2 tbsp samji curry powder/ or garam masala powder.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon tumeric.
- 1 teaspoon corriander.
- Then Add:.
- Ham bone/ or as much ham (chopped) as you want.
- 8 cups of water.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1/2 Lbs Mixture of split peas/ red and yellow lentils (or just lentils).
- 3 large carrots chopped.
- 3 - 4 large chopped tomatoes.
- 1 large potatoe / 1 cup squash chopped in cubes (both optional).
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or more, or until the peas are tender.
- Serve with hot red pepper flakes/ fresh cilantro on top/ spoonfull of plain yogurt to taste on top.