Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is something I threw together the other night and if I may so, it is absolutley DELICIOUS! It makes great leftovers too. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup orange lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- Add oil to medium size pot, fry onion until soft.
- Add chopped tomato, carrot, tomato paste and garlic and stir until a bit soft, about 8 minutes or so on low heat.
- Add dry spices to bring out their flavors and aroma.
- Add rice and lentils, cover with water just a bit over the rice, approximately 2-1/2 cups or so, bring to boil, cover and simmer for approximately 40 minutes checking periodically to see if tender.
- NOTE: The lentils may seem a bit tough even after cooking, but leave covered for about 15 minutes and before serving they will be fine.
- Great next to chicken or a great vegetarian meal all by itself!
This is delicious masha Allah. I used white Basmati rice, green lentils in place of brown as that is what I had on hand, canned plum tomatoes, I peeled the carrot before chopping it up, recipe#442889, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, plus the rest. I served it as a vegetarian meal with homemade raita.