Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very satisfying salad. It is also great without the chicken!
- 1 1⁄2 cups fast and natural instant brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- reduced-sodium chicken broth (enough to cover 4 chicken breasts)
- 4 chicken breasts (optional)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream or 1⁄4 cup whole yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Combine rice, water, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer 12 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork and cool.
- Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, add chicken and simmer for 12 minutes. Cover, and let sit for 15 minutes. Cube chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, celery, bell pepper, green onions, raisins, and almonds.
- In another bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, curry powder, and salt. Pour over rice mixture and stir to combine. Garnish with cilantro. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.