Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Very simple, healthy and delicious meal. If you like quinoa, you'll love this. I've brought it to many potlucks; it always gets positive remarks. I sometimes leave out the red onion for those you don't like uncooked onions. Be creative with this recipe. You can add or subtract any veggies.
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup grated zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- Place quinoa in medium bowl and soak for at least 1 hour, then drain liquid.
- Boil water or broth and add quinoa, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- In a blender add olive oil, vinegar, curry, turmeric, sea salt, and pepper.
- Pour this onto the cooked quinoa. Add grated vegetables, parsley, almonds, raisins, scallions and red onions; mix well and taste for seasonings.
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy.
This is a real crowd pleaser! The basic recipe says the yield is 4 servings, however that must be as a large main dish. As a side it goes much farther. I doubled the recipe and made only two changes - I left out the red onion and used only one shallot (according to the grocery receipt it was about 2.5 oz). The group loved it! Leftovers reheat well, too!
Great recipe! One scallion was enough for the whole batch. I used red wine vinegar and a mix of quinoa and whole wheat coucous. I added more veggies and made more vinaigrette. I also added much more raisins and dried cranberries. I'll try it next time with red bell peppers and green onions instead of scallions.
This was really good. I found I didn't have quite 2 cups of quinoa left. More like 1 1/2. I used all green onion, and kept all the other measurements the same. I had to add more salt and about another 1/2 tsp of curry. And that was just right for me. I love that the veggies stay raw in this! Thanks!