Recipe by Chef Christine
Malaysia and Singapore's version of the empanada
Top Review by RotiJala
Definitely not Malaysian and Singaporean curry puffs. Curry puffs consist of a pastry dough that's rolled thin into rounds that wrap a curried filling, crimped to seal the edges and deepfried (or oven baked if using puff pastry).
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 2 eggs (set 1 aside and beat lightly)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup cold water
- 5 tablespoons corn oil, plus extra
- corn oil, for deep frying
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 parsnip, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup beef stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Add flour to a bowl, make a hole in the middle and add egg.
- Gradually stir in milk and beat well until smooth.
- Stir in cold water and beat well.
- Pour batter into a container, set aside.
- Heat in a small skillet and pour off excess.
- Pour a little batter into skillet, swirling skillet to spread batter evenly over bottom to make a thin coating.
- Fry until 1 side is golden brown then flip over to do the same.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil pan each time, to make 8 pancakes.
- For the filling, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan adding onions, parsnip and curry powder.
- Saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Blend cornstarch with a little stock and add remaining stock to ground beef mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add corn starch mixture and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Simmer mixture 10 minutes.
- Lay pancakes, cooked-sides up, on a flat surface.
- Spread filling in 2" horizontal lines across center to within 1-1/2" of side edges.
- Fold these side edges over mixture and then fold remaining top and bottom edges over to cover filling.
- Brush with egg and fold pancakes in half.
- Chill for about 1 hour.
- Half fill a deep fat fryer or saucepan with oil.
- Fry folded pancakes, 4 at a time, 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve and garnish with carrot strips if desired.