Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From "Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian" cookbook. I'm guessing at the yield since I've not made this yet. Posting for ZWT.
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds (brown or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 dried hot red chilies, Crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Heat small, heavy skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add coriander, cumin, peppercorns, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cloves and chilies.
- Stir until spices smell toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. (A few of the spices will darken a shade.)
- Add turmeric; stir 10 seconds.
- Turn out onto clean plate to cool.
- Transfer spices to coffee or spice grinder, in batches if necessary; grind finely.
- Use immediately or store in air-tight container in cool, dry place for up to 2 months.