Recipe by P4
This mixture is from the late and very missed Barbara Tropp. This is the curry powder I use for everything from curried tuna-fish sandwiches to Indian curries. Very easy, and the difference in flavor that it has from store-bought is miles...
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3⁄4 inch of a cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the whole spices and toast in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring, shaking, and adjusting the heat so that the spices toast without scorching.
- Stir until the spices are very fragrant and the fenugreek seeds and lighter colored spices are lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground spices.
- Transfer to a clean coffee grinder and grind the mixture very fine.
- Store in a tightly lidded jar.