Recipe by Red Jenny
Very warming for cold days. Healthy, vegetarian, gluten-free (just make sure your bouillon is gluten free!).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large celery ribs, with leaves, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 -2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium yellow potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 bouillon cube (or use broth instead of water)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- salt, to taste
- 1. Fry onions in olive oil until beginning to brown.
- 2. Add garlic, celery and carrots and cook until beginning to soften.
- 3. Add spices and cook until fragrant.
- 4. Add potatoes, lentils, tomato juice, mustard and bouillon and water to cover by a couple of inches (about 1 cup - if it is too thick you can always add more water.).
- 5. Simmer until potatoes are soft and lentils are beginning to break down, about 1/2 hour.
- 6. Add more spices to taste if necessary. Stir in coconut milk and salt to taste.
- 7. Devour, but don't let the potatoes burn your mouth!