Recipe by Nyteglori
A Potjie is a South African Stew type meal cooked in a large three legged pot over coals. It is often cooked as port of a social gathering in much the same way as BBQs are. These are awesome to have while camping too.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 lbs mutton neck, cut into slices
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb baby carrots, peeled
- 1 lb baby potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in the pot. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown a few pieces at a time. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onions until tender. Return the meat to the pot. Cover the meat with water, replace lid and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix the sugar, curry powder and turmeric with the milk and add. Simmer for another 15 minutes and gently stir through once. Add more water if the potjie becomes too dry and simmer for another 15 minutes.