My dear MIL passed this recipe on to me, as it is one of DH's favorites. This is a great way to use leftover meat to create a delicious and classy meal. I use cubed cooked pork tenderloin with great results.This curry dish is served over rice. Side dishes can be any combination of cashews, peaches, diced apples or chutney.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use 1%)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pork or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken or 1 1⁄2 cups lamb, cooked and chopped
- Melt butter or margarine with onions in the top of a double boiler, or in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Combine flour, curry powder, sugar, salt, dry mustard and dry ginger.
- Add to butter & onion mixture.
- Stir until blended.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cook until mixture has thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped meat.
- Heat through.
- Serve over rice.