Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Use as much or as little curry as you like. An unexpected, although wonderfl flavor. From a family friend. (Prep time includes marinating)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or up to 4 tsp. to taste)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- add curry powder and onion, stirring until onion is limp and curry has turned golden.
- add tomato juice, marmalade, salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and set aside until room temperature.
- butter a baking dish and arrange whole, cored tomatoes evenly.
- Pour cooled sauce all over.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
- Bake uncovered at 400 until tomatoes are tender.
- If sauce is too thin, remove tomatoes, our sauce into a pan, add cornstarch and heat until thickened.
- serve with rice.