Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
adapted from cooking light, this is a spicy sweet soup that is perfect for autumn.
Make and share this Curry Ginger Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 tablespoons peeled chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup mirin
- 6 cups peeled cubed butternut squash
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- in a large pot heat oil.
- add ginger and garlic and cook until softened.
- add curry powder, stir for a few seconds.
- add mirin and reduce to 1/2 cup.
- add squash, stock, celery, bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to simmer and cook 20 minutes until tender.
- using an immersion blender puree soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender).
- pour through a sieve into a large bowl, discarding solids.
- add chile sauce, salt, pepper and orange juice concentrate.
- add a spoonful of yogurt to each serving and garnish with parsley.
Very tasty! I didn't need to push through a sieve as my immersion blender was very thorough. I love this soup!
This soup is delicious and easy to make, and so healthy. I found mirin at an asian grocery store but you can also find recipes for a substitute online using sake. I used Sriracha for the hot sauce. I did not find it necessary to strain the soup after running it through the blender, it was already smooth. I used plain greek yogurt to top it off as I think greek yogurt adds more body and flavor than regular yogurt. So good!.
I make a lot of squash soup, but this was by far the best! I did make a few changes based upon what we had in the house: No mirin, so I used sherry. No OJ or chili sauce either. Otherwise, I followed it as written. I typically add ginger, but I think the celery and curry powder were what made a good soup a fantastic soup! I made it for my husband and his family and all loved it. Thank you for sharing!