1/2 Photos of Curry Eggs over Rice (For Leftover Hard Boiled Eggs)
A delicious main dish that uses up those leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter. The lady who prepared this on the show said that her mother used to make this dish often during Lent. I adapted this recipe from one I saw on "Calling All Cooks" on Food Network. This recipe halves beautifully. This is not a particularly spicy dish, just rich in flavor. (Note:There is no curry powder in this recipe - you are essentially making your own blend using various spices.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (hot or mild Indian style)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 ounces water (or more as needed)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 6 small)
- 1 cup unseasoned tomato sauce (8 ounce can)
- 1 pinch sugar, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 6 cups steamed white rice
- 1Mix the first 4 spices along with vinegar and water to make a thin paste; set aside.
- 2Heat a large saucepot over a medium heat and add oil.
- 3Add onion, ginger, garlic and saute until golden brown.
- 4Add spice mixture to the pot and stir well.
- 5(Add more water in small amounts if mixture begins to stick.) Add chopped tomatoes to onion mixture.
- 6Pour tomato sauce into a 2-cup measuring cup and add enough water to make 2 cups liquid.
- 7Add to the pot and simmer 20 for minutes.
- 8Add pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- 9Cut eggs in half lengthwise and slide them into the sauce.
- 10Serve over rice, sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curry Eggs over Rice (For Leftover Hard Boiled Eggs)
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 983.9
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 424.0 mg
- Sodium 460.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 165.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 27.6 g