Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Craving curry, but don't have any rice? I found that serving this creamy Thai chickpea curry over smashed potatoes seasoned with just a touch of curry powder worked just fine. This meal was so quick and simple, and it was made from stuff found right in my pantry. The ultimate test was my better-half, who usually "has to be in the mood" for curry... She ate it up and never looked back. This was a kind of knock-off of the shrimp curry recipe found on the side of the red curry paste jar. I usually substitute Braggs Liquid Aminos for the fish sauce traditionally found in most thai curries
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream, I use Tofutti brand
- 1 -2 tablespoon margarine, I use Earth Balance
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can bamboo shoots
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste, vegan
- 1 -2 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄2 cup parsley or 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Mash the potatoes, sour cream, margarine, curry powder and salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the chopped onions in the canola oil over meidum heat until tender.
- Add red curry paste and mix well to break up the paste, and cook on the heat about 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add chicpeas and bamboo shoots, mix again.
- Slowly add coconut milk and simmer over medium low for 5- 10 minutes.
- Add brown sugar to taste.
- Toss in the peas and simmer another 5 minutes, or until they turn bright green.
- Topp with parsley or cilantro, and serve over smashed potatoes.