Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from my first trail cookbook 'Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple'. (by Sarah Kirkconnell) It can be prepared FBC style in a quart freezer bag or done one pot style in your hikers cook set. I will give directions for both ways. You can tone down the curry by all means - or add more ;-) Pack the peanuts and coconut in small zip top bags. For the chicken be sure it has a pop-top for easy opening.
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream powder
- 2 tablespoons freeze- dried green beans
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (5 ounce) can chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Bring 1 1/4 cups water and the chicken (with broth) to a boil in your pot.
- Add in the dry ingredients.
- Turn off the heat, stir, seal tightly with the lid and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Top with nuts and and coconut.
- Freezer bag cooking method:.
- Put the couscous through salt in a quart freezer bag.
- Add the chicken with broth and 1 1/4 cups near boiling water to the bag.
- Stir well, seal tightly and let sit insulated for 15 minutes.
- Proceed as above.