Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was looking for this recipe, and I couldn't find it here. So I figured I would make one. I got the idea from V8--yeah the juice. They make a whole line of vegetarian cuisine that a lot of restaurants, including mine use. This is one soup that really got my attention. It's light, bright, sweet, and delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, small dice
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sweet corn, cut from the cob
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 quarts chicken stock or 6 quarts vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Let the water bubble out and the butter just start to brown.
- Quickly add in your aromatics( carrots, onion, celery, and garlic). Let these sweat over medium heat for at least ten minutes. You want these to be just soft.
- Add in your flour and stir well to get it worked inches This will thicken your soup and hold the yogurt together later, but you don't want any lumps so get it mixed up well.
- Add your corn into the mix and sweat for 2 or 3 more minutes. Add the sugar, the stock, and the rice to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer, add in the spices and bell pepper and allow to simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is chewable (eild rice never really gets tender).
- Omit the heat and then whisk in the yogurt. The flour in your soup will help to hold the yogurt and keep it from curdling, but just in case don't boil the soup anymore after you add the yogurt.
- Adjust seasonings to your liking.
I have been making this every fall/winter for a few years now and we absolutely love it! It is easy to make as a vegegarian fare or add chicken and the recipe makes a TON so we therefore freeze it. Excellent Recipe!