1 hr 15 mins
If you are a curry lover, then this is a recipe that you will really like. The sauce can be made a day ahead and chilled, just rewarm on top of the stove, and add in the chicken, peas, sour cream and coconut milk, simmer and serve. Actually, the sauce is even better if prepared a day ahead as the flavors will intensify. You can also make this with skin on or off chicken pieces, but increase the cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup oil (or more as needed, use vegetable or Canola oil, not olive oil)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger (can use 1-2 teaspoons ginger powder)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 3 -4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sweetened applesauce
- salt and pepper
- 7 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into slices, or chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onions; sauté for about 10 minute.
- 3Add in ginger and garlic; sauté for 1 minute.
- 4Add in curry powder, cumin and cinnamon; sauté for 1 minute just to release flavors.
- 5Add in flour, yogurt and tomato paste, whisking until sauce is smooth (about 1 minute).
- 6Add in broth and applesauce; bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally (about 35 minutes).
- 7Add in chicken and peas to the sauce; simmer until the chicken is cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).
- 8Add in sour cream and coconut milk; reduce heat to medium-low, stir until the sauce thickens enough to coat a wooden spoon (about 3-4 minutes).
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curry Chicken With Applesauce
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.9
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 635.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 40.8 g