Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I created this recipe one night my family came over for dinner. The original recipe called for coconut milk and 1/2 cup of mild curry and potatoes. As I had none of these ingredients to hand I improvised and the pie was a big hit. I was a little surprised given that the chopped spinach made the filling look green. But it was delicious and although I used hot curry paste the amount was only small so the pie was not too spicy. To spice up the pie you could add more curry paste and remove the evaporated milk and cream and substitute for coconut milk.
- 500 g chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 125 g frozen spinach
- 150 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg white
- Cut chicken breast into cubes and brown in pan with oil.
- Place spinach in a microwave proof bowl, cover and heat for 3 minutes. Spinach should now be defrosted.
- Dice Onion.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Place spinach, onion and mushrooms in pan with chicken and heat through until these are soft.
- Add curry paste and stir through
- Add evaporated milk and cream and allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Combine cornflour and water and then add to pan to help thicken up the gravy.
- Grease pie dish with baking spray and place 1 sheet of pastry into dish.
- Pour in the pie filling and then cover with the remaining pastry sheet.
- Baste top of pastry with egg white to assist in browning.
- Place in oven at 180 degrees.