Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious, easy and authentic Jamaican recipe! This recipe was shared with us by a true Jamaican chef. Perfect meal when served with white rice and a salad. As per the chef, for best flavor always use chicken with bone.
- Chop chicken into serving pieces, and wash with vinegar or lime, then set aside.
- In a large cooking pot heat up the cooking oil. When oil is hot, add in the garlic, black pepper, onion, scallions, and fresh thyme.
- Fry for about 3 minutes while stirring, then add curry powder and continue to fry on medium heat for about 4 more minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, and salt, stir and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook for about 5 minutes. then lift lid and stir again. Check again in 10 minutes. The chicken should have made enough of it's own liquid by now to cook in it's own juice, if not, then add a couple tablespoons of water. Cook for 20 more minutes, then add a whole scotch bonnet pepper (just lay the pepper on top of chicken, do not puncture it or the food will be too spicy!), put lid back on, and cook for five more minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve over hot white rice.
Loved it! This recipe is definitely a keeper.
This is very good! I did omit the scotch bonnet and used just jalapeno. I don't think I would have been able to eat it with the scotch bonnet, lol. As I was alone for dinner tonight I made just one serving and it made a delicious meal. So glad I decided to try it. Made for PAC, Spring 2014 :D